Nanosecond pulsed power can be used for many medical applications, including cancer therapy and disinfecting.
Pulsed power systems have been instrumental in the development of a number of biomedical devices and procedures. Electrical pulses have been shown to induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) in cancer cells, and pulsed power systems are currently being developed to treat various types of cancers. Current research is largely focused on the treatment of external cancers since the electrical pulses can be applied using a simple needle electrode system, but pulsed power systems that generate picoseconds pulses may eventually be used with broadband focusing antennas to treat internal tumors.
Pulsed power systems have also been used in combination with various plasma actuators to generate cold plasmas that have proven to be effective for endodontic disinfection and wound healing.
- Bazhal, M.I., Lebovka, N.I., Vorobiev, E., “Pulsed electric field treatment of apple tissue during compression for juice extraction”, J. Food Eng. 50 129–139 (2001).
- El Belighti, K., Vorobiev, E., “Modelling of solute aqueous extraction from carrots subjected to a pulsed electric field”, Biosyst. Eng. 82 1–7 (2004).
- Fincan, M., De Vito, F., Dejmek, P., “Pulsed electric field treatment for solid liquid extraction of red beetroot pigment”, J. Food Eng. 64 381–388 (2004).
- Vorobiev, E., Jemai, A.B., Bouzrara, H., Lebovka, N.I., Bazhal, M.I., “Pulsed electric field assisted extraction of juice from food plants”, in: G.V. Barbosa-Canovas, M.P. Cano (Eds.), Novel Food Processing Technologies, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, pp. 105–130 (2004).
- Vernier, P. T., Sun, Y., and Gundersen, M. A. "Nanoelectropulse-driven membrane perturbation and small molecule permeabilization," BMC Cell Biology, vol. 7, p. 37, (2006).
- Marsellés-Fontanet, AR et al. "Optimization and validation of PEF processing conditions to inactivate oxidative enzymes of grape juice." Journal of Food Engineering 83(3): 452-462 (2007).
- Praporscic, I., Lebovka, N., Vorobiev, E., Mietton-Peuchot, M., “Pulsed electric field enhanced expression and juice quality of white grapes”, Separation and Purification Technology, Volume 52, Issue 3, Pages 520-526 (2007).
- Schilling, S., S. Schmid, et al. (2008). "Comparative Study of Pulsed Electric Field and Thermal Processing of Apple Juice with Particular Consideration of Juice Quality and Enzyme Deactivation." Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 56(12): 4545-4554 (2008).